Punk & Alternative Music. Enjoy and support the artists!
Friday, 18 November 2011
Middle Class Rut
Middle Class Rut are a great alternative rock (for lack of a better term) duo from California. The two guys (Zack on guitar/vox & Sean on drums/vox) formed after the break-up of a band called Leisure who I'd never heard of but apparently were quite big state-side. I heard MC RUT for the first time on a Rock Sound sampler maybe two or three years ago, the fucking amazing track Busy Being Born. At the time they'd only put out two EPs. They played The Louisiana here in Bristol and I went to see them. It was a fucking sweltering summer night and they cranked out a massive sound from just two instruments. I met them briefly after the show and Sean insinuated me and me friend were lovers - we're not, just platonic male life partners. It may have been because I said they reminded me of Death From Above 1979 - I dunno, whatever. Anyway, they're a really good band and you should listen to them.
The usual musical comparison made of them is Jane's Addiction, which I can hear in the vocals and the big reverby/echoey guitar sound. It really is a huge sound and they transfer it completely live as well which I think is quite a feat seeing as other duos like Black Keys and DFA1979 seem to fall flat when they play live.
No comments:
Post a Comment